Jones: NFL ready for decision in Elliott case

Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott (21) works with Dallas Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown during the afternoon practice at training camp in Oxnard, California on Saturday, July 29, 2017. (Vernon Bryant/The Dallas Morning News)

OXNARD, Calif. -- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says "everything's in place" for an NFL decision over a possible suspension of Ezekiel Elliott and that his star running back met recently with league officials.

Elliott could be suspended over a domestic incident with his then-girlfriend last year even though prosecutors in Ohio declined to pursue the case. The league has been investigating for more than a year.

Jones said Saturday night Elliott met with officials in New York within the past month but declined to say whether commissioner Roger Goodell was involved.

"They have had their hearing," Jones said after practice at training camp. "They have had all of the responses. Everything's in place to make a decision. I think anything is discretionary at any time where you can ask for more meetings, whether it's the league or whether it's Zeke."

Elliott also was involved in a bar fight in Dallas a week before training camp but wasn't named in a police report about the incident. The report said a 30-year-old man was punched in the nose and hospitalized.

Goodell has the authority to suspend players without convictions under the league's personal conduct policy. The NFL amended the policy three years ago to strengthen punishments in domestic cases.

A police report in Columbus, Ohio, said Elliott denied allegations that he assaulted his then-girlfriend last July, causing bruises and scrapes.

Three witnesses told police they didn't see Elliott assault the woman. Elliott said the woman got the bruises and scrapes in a bar fight.

Team expected Moore ban

The Cowboys expected a suspension for defensive end Damontre Moore because he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence while with Seattle last year, coach Jason Garrett said Saturday.

Moore, also cited in Seattle for driving with a suspended license in December, became the Cowboys' third defensive player who will start the season on the suspended list when he received a two-game ban Friday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The 24-year-old, who played at Texas A&M, signed with the Cowboys in March.

"We understood what that situation was when we signed him," Garrett said. "He made great strides in our evaluations by our player engagement people and so we went ahead and made that signing under our conditions knowing full well a suspension was a possibility."

David Irving (four games) and Randy Gregory (likely entire season) will be suspended when the season starts. Irving violated the performance-enhancing drugs policy, and Gregory has multiple substance-abuse violations.

Recommended for you