100 Years Ago
From May 1918
County council to investigate disloyalty
The Council of Defense for Denton County decided Wednesday afternoon to make a close investigation of all acts of disloyalty in the county, either of deed or word. The questionnaire cards recently sent out by the council were gone over by the members. The statements of those having knowledge of disloyal acts will be gone into. The council will take up with the state council as to what procedure should be taken to rid the county of all acts of disloyalty of every description.
It was decided that the returns from the cards sent out will be tabulated and kept on record. The county liberty bond campaign chairman will be asked to furnish a list of all purchasers of bonds throughout the county in order that an exact line can be secured on the support of the government in recent work.
Confederate monument has arrived in Denton
The Confederate monument purchased by the Daughters of the Confederacy has arrived in Denton and is now on the track at the railway yards. On which side of the courthouse lawn the monument is to be placed has not yet been determined, as the donors to the fund are permitted to say which side they prefer.
The names of all Confederates in the county, whether living or dead, are to be placed in the cornerstone.
A check for $100 in memory of Jerry Burnett, a Denton County veteran of the Civil War whose body is buried here, was received to be used in payment of the monument. The check was sent by S. Burk Burnett, oil man from Fort Worth, son of Jerry Burnett.
Aviators must limit stunts to lake area
Citizens have witnessed several daring stunts since the military flying fields opened near Fort Worth. But a new order announced today has brought a major change. Hereafter, all stunt flying by men in training will only be done over Lake Worth, where falls, even from a considerable height, are not likely to cause serious injury. As a further precaution a large motor boat, equipped with first aid apparatus and hospital appliances, will be on guard at the lake whenever flying is in progress.
The hazardous stunts, which are necessary for the flyers to learn, have claimed a number of victims and it is the belief of officers that by having the men try them over the water until they become proficient, many lives will be saved, and many serious injuries will be averted.
75 Years Ago
From May 1943
Local Red Cross needs workers
Attendance at the Denton Red Cross surgical dressing rooms at TSCW and the Teachers College has fallen the past three weeks, according to supervisors. The quota of gauze and other materials was not met for April.
From Red Cross headquarters it has been stated that owing to the suddenness of the war emergency, the hospital zones, normally short since the war started, are facing serious shortages in some zones.
Mothers of Denton boys in the service, their families and friends were urged to report for work at one or the other of the workrooms immediately. It is reminded that in all wars of history more deaths have resulted from infections in wounds than from direct deaths.
Both rooms are open every day except Saturday.
Chamber plans to enlist farm labor
Plans are now underway by the agricultural bureau of the Denton Chamber of Commerce to enlist workers to help farmers of the county with the upcoming harvest. As no migration of farm labor can be expected now, each county will be required to look after its own labor problem.
The bureau also announced that work on a community canning center was progressing satisfactorily, and it will probably be opened next week.
The directors also voted to pay for 1,000 packages of cigarettes to be sent to boys overseas. A note will be placed on each package by the manufacturer stating that they were sent with the compliments of the Denton Chamber of Commerce. The cigarettes cost 5 cents per package.
50 Years Ago
From May 1968
Lewisville High to keep Farmer mascot
The Farmer mascot will definitely move into the new Lewisville High School in September and will continue to reign over all athletic and scholastic events in the future.
A campaign was started last fall to change the mascot to a more metropolitan character in keeping with Lewisville’s industrial growth.
Paul Henry, Student Council president, announced that the effort to change the mascot has been stopped following a school vote that revealed 71 per cent of the student body wish to retain the Farmer and his rural influence. Now that the vote is over, the matter will be considered closed.
The Farmer mascot was adopted the first year that Lewisville High School fielded an athletic team. The Farmer was chosen as the symbol because every team member except one lived on a farm and was, in reality, a farmer.
Old Fry place, Denton’s oldest home, torn down
It was before the Civil War started that a house was built, the beams hewn out of logs hauled from the Elm Bottoms in eastern Denton County. Wooden pegs were driven to hold joints together.
That was about 1851 or 1853.
The house, known in modern times as the Old Fry place, is being torn down to make way for an apartment house at 1717 N. Locust.
In about 1925, it was bricked but the interior remains as it was 110 years ago. As the demolition crew can attest, it was substantially built.
The house was occupied for many years by W.S. (Bill) Fry, who was a peace officer in Denton County for 53 years — as a constable, as chief of police for 33 years and as sheriff of the county. Fry Street is named for the family that came to Texas when Bill Fry was about six.
Fry had a stroke in 1927 and retired as sheriff. He died in 1930, at the age of 78.
The land was deeded to C.C. Daugherty in 1859, and deeded to Matthew Daugherty in 1866, and to James Daugherty in 1873.
In 1881, W.J. Wheeler bought the property. The grove of trees across the street was known as Wheeler’s Grove and townsfolk took excursions out to picnic.
Fry bought the house from W.A. Jones in 1911 and lived there until his death. He is buried at Denton’s IOOF Cemetery.
The new apartment building that will occupy the site, Chateau Royale, was designed by Bob Miller. Walt Parker is in charge of the construction.
25 Years Ago
From May 1993
Oh, ‘chute, it was nothin’ to event
It’s going to be difficult to top Trevor Callahan-Storrie’s show-and-tell presentation.
In a spectacular display of color and nerve, two of the kindergarten pupil’s relatives and a family friend plunged from an airplane Thursday and landed — with help from parachutes — at Borman Elementary School for show-and-tell. The entire school turned out to watch.
Lecia Callahan, Trevor’s mother, asked her brother and sister-in-law, John and Vicki Storrie, and friend Eric Lide to make a special jump for her son’s class. The three are part of the Denton Parachute Club. Mrs. Storrie is an English teacher at Calhoun Middle School.
As the three parachutists floated out of the plane, one opened a canister of smoke that was fastened to his leg so pink streaks of smoke trailed behind him.
The parachutists also had attached blue and yellow streamers to themselves.
When the three landed, the children cheered. Trevor, who said he had seen his aunt and uncle parachute at least 10 times before, was more subdued.
Trevor said he wasn’t worried about finding something to equal this show-and-tell presentation.
“I’m going to get them to jump again next year,” he said.
— Compiled from the files of the Denton Record-Chronicle by DJ Taylor