You must file a form with the Denton Central Appraisal District. 

Homeowners age 65 and older, as well as those with a disability, are eligible for certain property tax exemptions. The exemptions are available only for your primary residence. 

In addition to exemptions from certain school taxes, several Denton County cities — including Bartonville, Denton and Lewisville — also freeze property taxes for homeowners with disabilities or who are age 65 and older. The dollar amount you pay for city taxes the year you file is the dollar amount you'll pay for as long as you own the home. 

The six-page form is available on the district's website in both English and Spanish. It's the same form used for the general homestead exemption, along with other special exemptions for veterans and their survivors. After you complete the form, you must sign it in front of a notary. 

Mail the completed exemption application and copy of your Texas Driver's License (the address on your license must match property address) to the Denton Central Appraisal District, P.O. Box 50746, Denton, TX 76206-0746 or drop it by in person at their offices at 3911 Morse St., Denton. 

If you need help completing the form, call customer support at 940-349-3810.

— Peggy Heinkel-Wolfe

What do you want to know? Email your question for Insight Denton to

PEGGY HEINKEL-WOLFE can be reached at 940-566-6881 and via Twitter at @phwolfeDRC.

Recommended for you