Corinth police still have not found three men who fled after a crash Monday night that led to a precautionary evacuation of several homes, police said Wednesday.

Residents in the area of North Corinth Street and West Shady Shores Road were evacuated after the vehicle crashed into a gas meter, causing a small explosion that required an Atmos Energy crew to come fix the meter, police said.

At about 11 p.m. Monday, a Lake Dallas officer was parked on the shoulder of northbound Interstate 35E and clocked the suspect’s car driving by at 85 mph, a police report indicates. The officer was unable to catch up to the vehicle by the time it exited toward Corinth Parkway, Lake Dallas police spokeswoman Vikki Chandler said, so the officer turned off the vehicle’s flashing lights and sirens and exited the highway to take a back way to intercept the speeding car.

The officer found the car crashed and ablaze, then called for the Lake Cities and Lewisville fire departments to put out the fire, Chandler said.

The Corinth Police Department got involved in the ensuing search for the driver and the passengers. That department’s spokesman, Jimmie Gregg, said one man was found and three others were able to get away.

Chandler said the vehicle had been reported stolen in Flower Mound a few days prior.

Neither Chandler nor Gregg were able to give an estimation of how long people were out of their homes while the Atmos crew fixed the broken meter. People on social media, and others messaging the Denton Record-Chronicle asking about the incident, said the evacuation lasted several hours.

Other reports

1600 block of Dallas Drive — A man was arrested at the Eagle Transmission auto shop Tuesday on six charges of vehicle burglary, two charges of theft and a charge of unlawfully carrying a weapon, according to a police report.

Police said the man rummaged through six vehicles at the shop and stole a trailer. Police found him in possession of several items that were connected to the owners of the burgled vehicles, the report shows.

200 block of South Locust Street — A man was arrested after failing to identify himself to police after a person called 911 to report that four “transients” were drinking alcohol in front of First United Methodist Church in downtown Denton, according to an arrest affidavit.

The report shows that the man told police his name was Jon Watson. While they were detaining him for criminal trespass, officers allegedly found an identification card from Our Daily Bread. On it, officers found a name that they ran through a database, discovering the man matched the description of a man who had a parole violation warrant.

He was arrested on the warrant and on charges of failure to identify and possession of a controlled substance that was found in the man’s pocket, according to the report.


From 7 a.m. Tuesday to 7 a.m. Wednesday:

  • The Denton County Sheriff’s Office handled 969 service and officer-initiated calls for the agencies it serves.
  • The Denton Police Department handled 146 service and officer-initiated calls and made nine arrests.
  • Denton firefighters responded to 30 medical calls and three vehicle crashes.

DALTON LAFERNEY can be reached at 940-566-6882 and via Twitter at @daltonlaferney.

Recommended for you