LeCarvin DeKevin "Kevin" Lewis

LeCarvin DeKevin “Kevin” Lewis

This story has been updated

The man who authorities said went missing at the Denton State Supported Living Center was found dead Thursday, ushering in the end of a tragic week in Denton that has unsettled many.

Two of the center’s employees found LeCarvin DeKevin “Kevin” Lewis’ body at about 11:20 a.m. Thursday, the Denton Police Department said.

His body was found on the grounds of the living center, located in the 3900 block of State School Road in southern Denton — on the same 189-acre campus where center staff and authorities searched for him initially. The 41-year-old was last seen mid-afternoon Saturday on the campus, according to a police report.

Police said investigators were unable to tell how exactly Lewis died or how long he was dead when his body was discovered.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office was expected to take custody of Lewis’ body Thursday and conduct an autopsy to determine his cause and manner of death.

In a statement, the Texas Health & Human Services Commission, the authority of living centers like the one in Denton, said it would review how Lewis went missing and what staff did to search for him.

“We are also working closely with law enforcement to find out what happened and we will continue to undergo a tireless review of the circumstances to identify anything that could have been done differently or that needs to change,” the statement reads. “This includes reviewing our policies and security measures that may need to be strengthened.”

Denton police said Lewis lived with both physical and developmental ailments, intensifying the need to find him when he first went missing.

The Denton living center offers treatment for people with disabilities. About 446 people live there now. Another 1,740 work there to care for the residents. Of the 13 residential facilities in Texas, Denton’s is the state’s largest.

Christine Mann, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Health Services, said earlier this week that April 14 was the last time a resident wandered away from the Denton campus. They were found an hour later, Mann said.

Denton police shared with the public that Lewis had gone missing Saturday, offering his physical characteristics and multiple photos of him. People throughout the community were engaged in looking for him, with some offering possible tips to police about his whereabouts.

The discovery of his body came a day after 2-year-old Sarbesh Gurung was found dead in an SUV not far from his family’s apartment. The search for the boy jolted the community, with dozens combing neighborhoods for him. And his death, like Lewis’, left many reeling.

DALTON LAFERNEY can be reached at 940-566-6882 and via Twitter at @daltonlaferney.

Recommended for you